Prime Day, 2017. The third annual global shopping event was the biggest selling day in Amazon’s history. Not only was it a huge success for Amazon itself, but third-party sellers too according to a company press release.
Amazon reported that tens of millions of Prime subscribers made a purchase, more than double last year. Sellers we able to take advantage of Amazon Prime’s 80 million+ audience worldwide in their biggest day of the year.
Sales also skyrocketed. The 2017 Prime Day event grew by more than 60 percent over last year – and growth by small businesses and entrepreneurs was even higher.
The first ever Prime day in 2015 was only accessible to the nine Prime-eligible countries at the time. Yet even in these marketplaces, Amazon reported global order growth that increased by 266% over the same day a year before. Three years and thirteen countries later, sellers continue to reap the benefits of international expansion, accessing a wider array of clients across the globe.
World First’s ecommerce clients reported record sales across their international Amazon marketplaces.
What sold where
The most popular purchase was the Echo Dot from Amazon, but excluding Amazon devices, here is a list of what sold best in each jurisdiction.
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker (the second best-sellingitem of Prime day 2016 still going strong)
- 23andMe DNA Tests for Health + Ancestry
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- 8-Pack AmazonBasics AA Rechargeable Batteries
- TP-Link Wi-Fi Smart Plug (works with Amazon’s Alexa)
- Sony Playstation 4
- SanDisk Ultra Fit 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive
- Moto G Plus Smartphone, 5th Generation
- Lenovo Ideapad 310 Laptop
- AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable
- Nintendo Switch
- SAVAS Whey Protein
- Happy Belly pure bottled water
- Finish All in One Max tablets
- Caffe Vergnano 1882 Espresso machine
- OnePlus 5 phone
- Seagate Expansion 1.5TB Portable External Drive
Germany and Austria
- PlayStation Plus Membership
- Soda Stream
France and Belgium
- PlayStation Plus Membership
- Game of Thrones – The Complete Season 1 to 6 Blu-Ray (because winter is coming)
- Fisher Price Soothe and Glow Seahorse
- A brief history of humankind+ A brief history of tomorrow set
Source: Prime Day Press Release
Considerations for a global seller
If you’re one of the many merchants selling in the global Amazon marketplaces, don’t miss out on the opportunity to maximize your returns.
Record sales seen on Prime Day here and abroad highlight the importance of understanding currency exchange and how it impacts international sellers. Every time an item is sold outside your home country, that item is paid for in the local currency. When you are ready to move your funds back home, there is an exchange between those two currencies. World First works to maximize your returns by making that exchange for you at a much more competitive margin than a direct transfer from Amazon, so you get more money.
A Prime Day to move your money
Thanks to currency movements, sellers in the UK and Europe are at a distinct advantage right now. The British pound is up more than 4% against the dollar this year, and the euro is trading at the best levels since Brexit.
This means that anyone in the US selling in the UK or Europe are gaining from a weaker dollar, getting that extra percentage back on everything sold in those markets.
As you prepare for the holiday season, things are only going to get busier. Don’t make repatriation another hurdle to jump through. Use a partner like World First to help grow and optimize your international footprint.
What the rest of 2017 might bring is anyone’s guess Let World First help bring your funds back home ready to prep for the holiday season – it’s just around the corner!